Summary: Solving MCAT math without a calculator can hold students back from reaching their goal score and showing medical schools what they are truly capable of. MCAT math is a barrier to success because there is a long list of formulas that seems never-ending and the solutions provided by AAMC MCAT Practice Test (linked here) skip important details. MCAT Math has created a set of ebooks that simply and concretely lay out MCAT tips and tricks that will help you boost your ability to do MCAT math without a calculator. We highly recommend these resources to all of our students who are struggling with MCAT math because, unlike other resources that discuss math, MCAT Math ebooks focus exclusively on how to complete calculations without a calculator.
Students need high quality and highly effective math strategies to succeed on their MCAT. Many resources attempt to help students with MCAT math but overlook the fact that students do not have access to a calculator on the MCAT. MCAT Math ebooks are designed to arm students with the strategies and math skills they need to excel on MCAT math without a calculator.
There are several benefits of the MCAT Math ebooks. We have listed some of them below:
- Designed For No Calculator Solutions: It is difficult to find MCAT math prep resources that teach students how to successfully solve equations without a calculator, the MCAT Math ebooks are designed specifically to help students solve math problems without a calculator.
- Cost: The MCAT Math ebooks are very reasonably priced at $10 a book. The ebooks are broken down into specific MCAT math problems students need to know in order to succeed on the MCAT. Currently, MCAT Math only has publications that cover math basics, MCAT Common Logs, and MCAT Exponents, but we have heard that other publications are coming soon.
- Concrete Examples: Other MCAT math resources provided complicated example that are meant to confuse you and make you question if you are ready for the MCAT. MCAT Math ebooks are full of concrete examples that actually help students rather than leave them more confused.
Although there are many benefits to the MCAT Math ebooks, there are a few cons which we have listed below:
- Single Medium Learning: MCAT Math ebooks are just that - books. There are no videos or other modes of learning associated with the lessons taught in the ebooks. That being said, Sean Studies and MCAT Math are currently working together to publish videos that will allow you to learn from both the written ebooks and the videos associated with these books.
- More Publications Needed: At the time we are writing this, the MCAT Math ebooks series is not complete. Currently, there are only publications that cover math basics, MCAT Common Logs, and MCAT Exponents. Of course, we need more MCAT math topics covered such as unit conversion and trigonometry. According to the MCAT Math website, topics like this (and more) will be covered soon.
Should You USe This Resource? If So, When?
If you are struggling with doing math without a calculator, your should absolutely be using the MCAT Math ebooks to help you perform better on both your MCAT practice test (recommendations here and here) and your real exam. The best time to use these resources is after you have completed some practice problems and realize that MCAT math is a weakness. Read through the ebooks as if you are reading through any MCAT textbook - by trying to learn from the content and walk through the examples.
*Sean Studies LLC has worked with MCAT Math on a variety of projects, but at the time of this review there is no financial relationships.*