Summary: Student Doctor Network is an platform to assist in connecting students interested in 9 core healthcare professions: medical, dental, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, podiatry, psychology, rehabilitation medicine, and veterinary medicine. Student Doctor Network is a non-profit organization that relies on the volunteers who have worked together for years to make the site what it is today. Student Doctor Network can benefit premeds and MCAT students because it allows them to explore the multiple forums about the MCAT, applying to medical school, and interview experience. Although there are many benefits to Student Doctor Network , there are also many valid reasons to stay way from the site and the information presented.
Student Doctor Network will help future physicians gain exposure to the medical community and learn from those who have gone through the process before. That being said, students should must be careful not to put to much authority behind the critical information and tone they may see on Student Doctor Network .
Since Student Doctor Network has been helping potential medical professionals for the past 20 years, therefore there is a wide range of benefits students will experience when they visit:
- Data driven tools that assess students application quality based on MCAT and GPA as compared to historical data of various medical schools in the USA
- An extensive number of forum posts which can help a student learn from the experience of others
- Medical school application cost calculator helps students predict the additional costs that are typically overlooked
- Weekly articles and interviews with influentials physicians and members of the healthcare community - highlighting the various facets of being a physician.
- Over its 20 year existence, Student Doctor Network has collected expert answers to common pre-medical questions. There is a specific forum on Student Doctor Network where experts, like Sean, confidentially answer questions.
While the sea of knowledge on Student Doctor Network is vast, there are some negative aspects of Student Doctor Network that must be addressed:
- Students and individuals posting on Student Doctor Network 's forums have a reputation of being extremely critical. This can range from people berating students who have phenomenal MCAT scores to critiquing someone's extracurriculars and true motivations. It is important to realize that everyone has their own opinion and just because one person has one perspective, your perspective can be different and accurate.
- The Medical School Cost Calculator has a limited number of inputs and therefore often inaccurately predicts cost. In addition to this, the calculator does not include the cost of traveling to medical school interviews, which has cost some of Sean Studies students about $1,500.
- The medical school application process should not be reduced to just MCAT & GPA; therefore, metrics such as the LizzyM score, which predicts one's ability to get accepted into school, have become outdated.